Monday 13 April 2009

Vegan Gumbo and Jambalaya

It's been raining and raining and raining, umbrellas have sprouted like mushrooms on our street, the humidity is making broken bones ache and cats irritable.

The new creek at the far end of the backyard is a steamy mini-Mississippi and so, of course, my tummy grumbled for gumbo and jambalaya.

These are traditionally dead-animal rich foods, but I have made vegan gumbo before with happy success, so I thought I would try a vegan jambalaya as well.

The starting point of almost any southern dish is the 'trinity' - green capsicum, celery and onion. Typically though, having had too much of it last week, we were now entirely out of celery. So I left it out - but it really is MUCH better to include it - the flavours will be richer and sweeter.

GUMBO
The gumbo was begun by lightly roasting the topped Okra - with a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper.

I do this to minimise the mucilaginous-ness of the fruit - the 'slime' helps to thicken the food, but too much and it's feels like you are eating snail trails!



Chopped onion, capsicum (and celery!) are then fried, minced garlic is added. Once the onion becomes clear I added the okra, chilli, chopped tomato (or passata), thyme and vegetable stock.

This is simmered for a little while until the sauce thickens (about ten minutes if using a wide pan/frying pan).

JAMBALAYA

The Jambalaya begins with a quick fry of the trinity. Fried or roasted tempeh, chopped vegetables (I used aubergine and carrot), bay leaves, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce are then added and given a good stir over a reasonably hot plate. At this point I added some Vegemite and the rice - about 3/4 cup of long grain - and enough stock to just cover. The pot is then left to simmer uncovered until the rice is cooked - stirring intermittently.












I served the two dishes together to the Man and Nerd. I really enjoyed both of them and Nerd was also impressed. The Man loved the Gumbo, but his first bite of the Jambalaya produced a reaction somewhat akin to "ycehyth ugh WHAT IS THIS DISGUSTING STUFF!?" It turns out the Man is not a fan of the texture of tempeh (even though I have fed it to him numerous times before without incident!) He did enjoy the rest of the dish though, I just had to pick out the tempeh triangles for him...like peas for a toddler. (meheehee)

No comments:

Post a Comment