Monday 13 April 2009

Tempeh Casserole



As winter is approaching I have felt the urge to casserole everything we eat. Mid last week there was, for some reason, an excess of tempeh in the fridge and so I decided on a warming tempeh casserole. Unfortunately for my flatmate, Nerd, I was just not in the mood for cooking myself and so I prised him away from his computer and instructed him from the comfort of the couch, where I spent a very pleasant evening reading a trashy novel and drinking red wine.

Somewhat suprisingly, it was utterly delicious.

In a large bowl Nerd was instructed to mix togeather:

cubes of tempeh

thick sliced onion

minced garlic

diced aubergines

sliced mushrooms

a small amount of diced pumpkin

lots of lemon juice

crushed tomato (quite a bit)

a good dollop of olive oil

fresh herbs - sage, rosemary, parsley and basil

and a good sprinkle of river salt and freshly ground black pepper.


After mixing, this was transfered to a baking dish and, covered, put in a moderate oven for about half an hour. After a bit of poking the cover was then taken off and it cooked for another ten or so minutes (to thicken the sauce).


Nerd served his triumph of vegetarian cookery with sage and some grated parmesan.


No comments:

Post a Comment