Sunday 5 April 2009

The Chickens Arrive!



Our chooks have finally arrived!

After trying to source all kinds of chickens from various breeders we ended up with ISA Browns - mostly because they were available at our local produce store and the nine year old salesman was very persuasive. Although he didn't look entirely convinced concerning my chicken raising abilities.

The ISA Browns (also known as Loman Browns) are bred for laying and for some reason this comes with a very short life expectancy - which seems a bit of a rough deal for the chook. It's not really part of the ethos I am trying to adhere to, but I was getting quite impatient with the fancy poultry breeders selling 'my' chickens before I arrived at their farm in woop woop at day break.
Lady Cluck and Mrs Dumb Puck are nice big friendly hens who don't mind being petted by the neighbours toddler and seem to have put my hunter-cat in his place - he has preserved his dignity by ignoring the avian interlopers.

No comments:

Post a Comment